Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Day 111. Cherokee Rabbits

I didn't get to do any real work on the project today at all (and that's going to be a perpetual problem while school is going on I'm afraid), but I did do a wonderful aetiological story starring the rabbit in Cherokee legend: Why There Is Flint Everywhere.

A Sioux story makes it clear that this flint creature is a bear: The Rabbit and the Bear with the Flint Body.


With stories like this, it is clear why there would be so much good synergy between the rabbits of Native American storytelling traditions and the trickster rabbits of the African American traditions. It's not about proving origins as in some folklore studies, but instead about the great new stories and new versions of old stories that resulted from all this storytelling energy. I really want to find a way to make my Brer Rabbit anthology reflect all that rabbit energy at work!


No comments: