Thursday, June 13, 2019

Day 44. Harris - Folklorist

One of the books that arrived while I was at the conference was Joel Chandler Harris, Folklorist by Stella Brewer Brookes.


It's a library discard, and thanks to the librarians, the author's bio is pasted into the inside cover of the book; that's how I learned she is the sister of folklorist J. Mason Brewer! I probably would never have made that connection otherwise! I'm guessing this is going to be a glorification of Harris, and it's the folklore side of him that is most admirable to me, although sadly he also had literary aspirations which undermined his folklore contribution. I hope that this book will help get me ready to write my own take on Harris, weighing the good and the bad of his work both at the time and as it stands now.

Once again, I have to say how delightful it is that there are so many important women writers and scholars who have worked on this topic too. That is a first for me, having so many women's perspectives to learn from!


No comments: