Monday, April 22, 2019

Day 2: Download Formats

Something came up today at Twitter that I wanted to save here, and it's about download formats. Apropos of a tweet someone had shared about the importance of Hawaiian culture, I chimed in with a link to the Hawaii books at the Freebookapalooza, and someone asked if any of those were available for download and reading offline.


I realized that of my standard sources, really only Gutenberg (and derivatives) makes ebook downloads easy. Hathi gives PDFs which is okay (but not great) as a format, and even that is available only for member institutions (I think).

I've always regretted not having an easy ebook format for the units in the UnTextbook, as I am sure that students would do a better job with the reading if they had that extra option, so that is something I would like to learn more about how to make that possible.

It's something I don't know a lot about... but I sure do like reading books on my Kindle/phone. :-)

Here's the Twitter exchange:



No comments: